6.12.2011

The Problems Pilled

Skinny-Bone-Jones

As a kid, I was really skinny - so skinny kids made fun of me all the time. It wasn't bad during the high school years since I was on the "normal, thin" side.


Bizzare Accutane Side Effect

I have a weight problem until after I finished my first treatment of Accutane at the age of 18. I gained over 15 pounds the first month of stopping the drug, 7 the second month, and a couple of more pounds here and there. It also didn't help that I probably gained "the freshmen 15" during the first year of college as well. In less than one years, I went from 115 to 140. It didn't stop there. At the time, I had a boyfriend who ate to his heart's content. He would always had his mom cook us very large portions to eat. A verbal fight was guaranteed to happen if I didn't finish most of my meal. So I learned how to force myself to eat much more than what my body needed. By the time we broke up, four years later, the weight scale read 162.


Followed Doctor's Advice = More Weight Gain

Another four years have gone by, and my health did not improve. I stopped caring about my health. I decided to live a happy life. This was defined as playing on my PS3 hours on end and eating all those things that shouldn't be eaten in high moderations. Why did I stop caring? I had given up on losing the weight. I ate healthy (no fried food, increased greens), and exercised (jogging 1-2 miles a day) and followed my doctor's advice and guidelines for a good six months to only find out I gained 9 pounds, bringing me to a horrible total of 176.


Accutane: Round Two

My acne came back after several years and my doctor insisted to try out Accutane once again. I hesitated and finally agreed to a second round. After the treatment, I was at 185 pounds and was told I was in danger of becoming type two diabetic. I began to care.


Things Get Worse

Unfortunately, things got worse. Late last year (2010), a fibroid was found in my uterus. Although it hasn't been officially confirmed, doctors believe that women who are overweight have a greater risk of developing these little tummors. The chance of this tumor becoming malignant is low, but the risk is there and it's a risk that I never had to worry about - until now. Needless to say, I became very scared.


I started doing small changes in my diet here and there, and continued exercising. I brought my weight to 177 and hit a plateau. I was convinced that I was to live the rest of my life as a 177 pound woman. Then a miracle happened.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling about kids making fun of ya for being skinny, I used to get that a lot too before I just let people know I like punching things. :)

    It seems like you've been through quite a lot since HS. I can definitely see why you would stop caring since everything was so disheartening.

    However, I am glad you decided to actively start making lifestyle changes to try and prevent possible illnesses. It is by far, not the easiest thing to do and many opt not to, so kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I knew the ex ate a lot, but geez Louise I didn't know they reprimanded you if didn't finish that last morsel.

    I'm glad you've found a way to start combating the weight and tackle the other health problems.

    Welcome to the blogging adventure! You deserve a gold trophy for this post for showing your courage to set your health record straight. :) <Long distance hugs>

    ReplyDelete